FINALLY! SOME UPDATES! This website is being reconstructed. Some content will go away soon. If you want to see my new stuff, visit my github: https://github.com/jrcharney/.

November 26, 2012

Ich bin ein Leser

Ich bin mit deutschen Wörtern um de Klassen in meinem neuesten JavaScript-Projekt beschreiben. Es ist gut, ja.

And that is all the German I know. Yo entiendo español mucho mejor que alemán. Especially since I didn't need to use Google Translate to compose that last sentence.

For your convenience, I put the English translations in the title tag.

It's been really difficult to put into words the projects I want to do more than it was to find the words to describe this post. Perhaps it's because I work more efficiently in the summertime with the warm air or my brain is tuned into a better ambient frequency during the middle part of the year. I haven't quite figured it out since I proposed writing three different blog entries between now and just before the last one and all of them needed their backup files (because Vim is so awesome) moved to a draft folder somewhere offline until I can compose a constructive argument for writing them.

So what about now? Today is a good day. I'm motivated. If I had things set up to view the timestamp this post was written, you would see I got up bright and early this morning. (6:30 AM! Oh how I longed to wake up at that time again!) But enough of that, lets get back to today's subject.

As I may have mentioned in deutscher Sprache, I am working on a project in JavaScript where the class names are in German. Mainly because, in programming language that uses English keywords, where words like "class", "Object", "Array", and "String" are reserved keywords, but "Klasse", "Objekt", "Feld", and "Zeichenkette" are not.

So what is Leser? Leser (German for "reader") is a JavaScript program that acts as a document translator. Only instead of translating words from English to German or Spanish (though that is theoretically possible), it translates a set of strings from a set of Wiki notation to HTML only instead of using PHP, like MediaWiki does, this program uses JavaScript and jQuery to process strings into HTML.

This was an important project as I am composing another project for listing all the Vim commands in an accessible, fast-to-write format where I won't be so distracted worrying about tag attributes.

So what makes Leser so much more Wunderbar than using MediaWiki syntax? Leser is a more rigid form of Wiki syntax, but at the same time will have more features and be more fluent than Wiki. Just as jQuery made JavaScript more dynamic, Leser aims to do a similar task for HTML notetaking. Although, I haven't though of how to process templates like Wiki yet, the basic structures of headers, lists, tables, anchors, paragraphs, blockquotes, and preformatted text will be uses. However, using single quotes for boldface and emphasis will not be used. I really don't like use single quotes especially if you need to describe code or commands, and these HTML shortcuts have problem with uneven pairs. There are still a few HTML tags that will be honored. Namely the <code>, <samp>, <kbd>, and <var> will be honored, in addition to <span>, <b>, <i>, and whatever tag I plan on using when I get whatever LaTeX software up and running for this site.

Keep in mind, Leser will not be used on this blog immediately (I have a good system already for blogging) but will be used on other pages on this site. Hence my interest in developing a Vim cheatsheet that will explain how to use Vim as a Java IDE with minimal resources used. (If someone can get Minecraft PE to run on a Raspberry Pi microcomputer, Vim can be used as IDE.)

At this point, I'm just going to write my Vim (and maybe Java, C/C++, and SQL) notes in Leser format then work on getting Leser to work. That seems to be the most efficient and effective way of doing this project. Getting these notes written then making them look pretty later.

The only pit fall with this is that JavaScript, on it's own, will only process one line at a time. The challenge is to get JavaScript to recognized line breaks. Again, content first then style. I just need to remind myself of that.

More about this project later. I still need to get project pages set up for it anyway. Auf Wiedersehen!

Twitter

Tags

Under Construction